Now that we're going ahead, we'll need a snappy name for this lil startup…
A couple of hours should do it right? Well, maybe not...
I'd love to hear from you!
Get in touch by email email@example.com or @bitesociety
Or on social
Well, that was a interesting process with thankfully a happy ending.
Along the way I discovered that some things aren't as kind as they look...
That was a shock, seriously glad I found out before committing to that first name.
Honestly, even now I'm surprised just how nice a final name I managed to get for the company, and that all the domain and social handles were free from it.
I guess I'm biased, but I think Bite Society has so much potential and really fits the mission we have for the company...
It's got the community vibe, related to food, catchy and just slightly cheeky ;)
The name checking website I used a lot during the hunt is namecheckr... it rocks!
To search whether a brand has already taken in a trademark I used the WIPO Global Brand database.
Search text for "coca AND cola" to try it out for example...
Finally, after being burned a few times with names that seemed promising but had something wrong with them, I put together a kind of checklist:
- is the domain name/s free?
- are all the social media handles free?
- is it easy to pronounce?
- is it easy enough to spell?
- no bad alternative meaning?
- words put together have bad meaning? eg "an ally"
- trademark available?
- no similar trademarks?
- company name available?
- no bad search google "exact term"
- no bad result google loose search
- swap order - check results
- add common suffix / prefix words, eg "happiest living" "the happiest living"
- check no bad translation in other languages (swearing)
- is it preferably short?
- is it too generic? (hard to trademark or remember)
- does it mean something (if mission driven)
If you want any advice or feedback on a possible name, feel free to get in touch (links above)